The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (DP) is designed for students aged 16-18. It is a unique curriculum, not based on the pattern of a single country, but a deliberate compromise between the specialisation required in some national systems and the breadth of learning preferred in others.
In achieving this, students who successfully complete the IB Diploma Programme demonstrate a strong commitment to learning, both in terms of their mastering of a range of subjects and in their development of skills and disciplines necessary for success in our competitive, global world. Students and educators from IB schools around the globe, explain the DP in this great film.
The IB diploma
The IB Diploma enjoys a high level of respect and recognition among the world’s higher education institutions. For students, success in the IB often results in advanced standing, course credit, scholarships, and other admissions related benefits at many universities.
Diploma candidates are required to select six subjects from a broad spectrum of learning incorporating the humanities and sciences. Three of these subjects are taken at Higher Level, the others at Standard Level. By arranging subject learning in this way, students are able to explore some subjects in depth and some subjects more broadly over a two-year period. You can find the subjects offered at the ISUtrecht here. Please ensure you familiarise yourself with the General Regulations for IB Diploma students.
On the IB website, there are overviews of all DP courses offered. Please note that we offer a selection of these courses as mentioned above.
DP teacher articles and Instagram accounts
If you want to get a feel for what DP teaching and learning looks like at the ISUtrecht, please read articles by: DP2 student Pooya about her creative writing project, Jeroen de Haas about a new platform used to help the university and careers guidance curriculum, Callum Philbin about TOK, or by Ingrid Schmoutziguer about the social resilience workshop for DP students. Of course, you could also follow many of our DP teachers on Instagram: @msayes_isutrecht; @mslogman_isutrecht; @biology_isutrecht; @mssmolders_isutrecht; visualart_isutrecht; performance_isutrecht; secondarylibrary_isutrecht ; or the whole school account: @international_school_utrecht.
- Number of candidates that registered in the session: 39
- Number of candidates that successfully passed the diploma: 38
- Passing rate (including Nov 2020 retake): 97,4
- Passing rate (May session worldwide): 79.10
- ISUtrecht average points: 30
- ISUtrecht highest score: 42
- Number of students obtaining a bilingual diploma: 18
- Number of candidates that registered in the session: 23
- Number of candidates that successfully passed the diploma: 22
- Passing rate (including Nov 2019 retake): 95,6
- Passing rate (May session worldwide): 77,81
- ISUtrecht average points: 29
- ISUtrecht highest score: 37
- Number of students obtaining a bilingual diploma: 9
2018 (first cohort)
- Number of candidates that registered in the session: 15
- Number of candidates that successfully passed the diploma: 12
- Passing rate: 80,00
- ISUtrecht average points: 30
- ISUtrecht highest score: 38
- Passing rate (May session worldwide): 77,40
All retakers from the May 2018 session succesfully passed the diploma.