ISUtrecht believes the true purpose of assessment is to guide the planning and instruction to support and enhance student learning, rather than to simply generate a grade.
Assessment is integral to all teaching and learning. It is central to the goal of thoughtfully and effectively guiding students through the five essential elements of learning:
- acquisition of knowledge
- understanding of concepts
- mastering of skills
- development of attitudes
- decision to take action
Both students and teachers should be actively engaged in assessing the students’ progress, in both formative and summative formats, as to develop wider critical thinking and self-evaluation skills.
The aims of assessment are to promote student centred learning, to provide information about individual student learning, tracking student progress, and to contribute to the evaluation of the effectiveness of the programme.
Subject-specific criteria for evaluating students
All teachers are responsible for providing and teaching the criteria to their students.The criteria are made visible throughout all tasks. Teachers review the criteria with students, so they can achieve the score they want and understand why they received a certain score. In addition to this examples on what the students need to do to improve are provided. All subjects should assess against each objective at least twice in a school year to provide appropriate feedback on the reports. There are two terms per school year.
Reporting Progress of Students
Students’ progress will be reported four times per year, as follows:
- November Autumn progress report, reporting a predicted final grade and written comments
- January Mid-term report, reporting against all criteria, providing a final grade for the term and written comments
- April Spring progress report, reporting a predicted final grade and written comments
- July Final report, reporting against all criteria, providing a final grade for the year and written comments
For more information please view the ISUtrecht Assessment Policy, Academic Honesty Policy and Promotion Criteria in the download section below.