Service as Action Fair 2020
Every year, the International School Utrecht organises the Service as Action Fair. Even though we are in the middle of a pandemic, the Fair will also be held this year! We have adapted the programme to make it save and enjoyable for everyone involved.
By Jeroen Lamme, PHE teacher and SAA coordinator; pictures from the SAA Fair 2019
Because of covid-19, the fair is spread over two days: Tuesday 3 & Wednesday 4 November, from 15:00 to 16:00. This way we don’t have too many students and teachers in one place at the same time. The grade 6, 7 and 8 students will visit the Fair on Tuesday and the grade 9, 10 students will visit the Fair on Wednesday. On Wednesday the DP students looking for projects for CAS (Creativity Activity and Service) can also join the fair.
But what is the Service as Action Fair and what does Service as Action mean?
Service as Action is one of the requirements in the MYP programme. It’s not a subject, but something students will do outside of lessons. After school for example, or in their free periods. Service as Action (also called SAA), is an opportunity for students to provide a service for the wider community or for the school community. Students can help PYP teachers in their lessons, help the librarian with organising books or for example collect money for a charity of their choice.
The Fair itself will consist of stands, where SAA projects can be promoted or where teachers can ask for helpers in their lessons. MYP students can sign up at the stands and offer their help.
Which stands will we have this year at the SAA Fair?
There is a variety of stands at the Fair, such as teacher, support staff and classroom stands. Individual students or groups of students can also have their own stand. You can find some examples below:
- Home Languages – students can sign up to connect with KG or grade 1 students in their home language
- PHE teachers – students can sign up to help the PHE teachers during primary lessons
- Chess Club – students can sign up to help run the ISU Chess Club
- Caretakers – students can sign up to help the caretakers setting up for or tidying up after events, tidying up the playgrounds or help managing the traffic in the mornings
- Class/Grade – students can sign up to help with a class or grade charity project
We look forward to the Fair and we hope the students will have a great experience.